Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

Roy v. State

Supreme Court of Rhode Island

June 23, 2016

Dawn K. Roy, in her capacity as the administratrix of the estate of Brett A. Roy, et al.
The State of Rhode Island et al.

         Providence County Superior Court (PC 09-2874) Associate Justice Susan E. McGuirl.

          For Plaintiffs: Patrick C. Barry, Esq. Douglas E. Chabot, Esq.

          For State: Rebecca T. Partington Department of the Attorney General, Adam J. Sholes Department of the Attorney General.

          Present: Suttell, C.J., Goldberg, Flaherty, Robinson, and Indeglia, JJ.



         A wise jurist once wrote:

"This is a hard case-hard not in the sense that it is legally[1] difficult or tough to crack, but in the sense that it requires us * * * to deny relief to a plaintiff for whom we have considerable sympathy. We do what we must, for 'it is the duty of all courts of justice to take care, for the general good of the community, that hard cases do not make bad law.'" Burnham v. Guardian Life Insurance Co. of America, 873 F.2d 486, 487 (1st Cir. 1989) (Selya, J.) (quoting United States v. Clark, 96 U.S. 37, 49 (1877) (Harlan, J., dissenting)).

         This is indeed such a hard case. Tragically, on July 10, 2008, twenty-nine-year-old Brett A. Roy broke his neck when diving into the pond at World War II Veterans Memorial Park in Woonsocket, resulting in his paralysis from the neck down. Roy's injuries were vast and undeniable. Roy and his wife, Dawn K. Roy (plaintiffs), individually and as the parents of their two children, filed this action against the state, the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (DEM), and two individuals in their official capacities as DEM employees (collectively, the state), alleging several counts of negligence and premises liability. After a multi-week trial and lengthy deliberations, a jury returned a verdict for the state, finding that the state had not "fail[ed] to guard or warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure or activity" or against a "non-obvious, latent dangerous condition" at the pond. Subsequently, both parties filed renewed motions for judgment as a matter of law, which the trial justice denied. However, the plaintiffs also filed a motion for a new trial, which was granted. Thereafter, the state brought the instant appeal arguing that the trial justice erred in granting the plaintiffs' motion for a new trial, and that, as a matter of law, the state owed no duty to Roy. The plaintiffs filed a cross-appeal arguing that their motion for judgment as a matter of law should have been granted and that the trial justice erred in denying their motion for additur or alternatively their motion for a new trial on damages only. For the reasons set forth herein, we vacate the judgment of the Superior Court.

         I. Facts and Travel

         A. World War II Veterans Memorial Park and Pond

         In July 2008, the pond at World War II Veterans Memorial Park in Woonsocket was one of several bodies of water operated by the state as a recreational facility. At trial several state workers testified to the condition and maintenance of the park and pond.

         The director of DEM at the time of the incident, W. Michael Sullivan, testified that the man-made pond was "filled mechanically" and "treated much like a swimming pool." Sullivan testified that, in June 2008, he made the decision to fill the pond, and he appeared at a press conference where he announced his decision.[2] Sullivan stated that, in July 2008, there were "no swimming" signs posted, but DEM "expected that there would be people * * * using the park." Sullivan explained that facilities such as the bathhouses were open, but he stated that he "did not ever consider the beach to be open." Sullivan agreed that it was prohibited under DEM rules to operate the pond on a "swim-at-your-own-risk" basis, and he explained that, "if there were not lifeguards present at a swimming facility, that the swimming facility was closed." Sullivan explained that, in July 2008, staff on-site at the park had been directed "to tell people that the beach -- that the water was closed to swimming, to point to signage and refer them to that, but it was not expected that they would stand there and order people out [of the water] * * *."

         The Associate Director of Natural Resources for DEM, Larry Mouradjian, also testified at trial. He described the pond, explaining that there was a designated lap pool, a swim area, and a diving platform. He testified that he had seen the pond with and without water, and, based on his opinion, diving near the wall into the lap pool would be dangerous because it was too shallow. Mouradjian testified that the pond was typically not filled "until such time as we were able to fully staff the * * * swim area and invite the public to swim at the pond * * *." Mouradjian stated that he thought the decision to fill the pond was untimely "[b]ecause the things normally done to prepare the pond to be open to the public had not been done * * *." He testified that he had spoken to Sullivan and recommended that the pond be drained or left empty until DEM "beg[a]n to acquire the resources necessary."

         The DEM Chief of the Rhode Island Division of Parks and Recreation, Robert Paquette, and the Deputy Chief, John Faltus, also testified at trial. Paquette confirmed that Mouradjian was hesitant to open the pond and that Mouradjian told him that "we should really look into this." However, Paquette testified that "[Sullivan] was ordering [him] to open up the facility." Paquette also testified that he had never been told that "there was ever a problem with shallow water [along the wall of the pond]." Faltus testified that he was never "officially informed" that people were diving at the pond, but he had "heard hearsay that there's possible diving activity after hours." Faltus stated that generally they did not "allow diving at any [state] swimming areas." However, he also admitted that "[p]eople [were] allowed to possibly do some shallow entry dives, " explaining that whether diving was allowed "[d]epends on how you define 'dive.'"

         William Mitchell Jr., the Regional Park Manager for DEM in 2008, testified that there was no "system that was in place to warn people of the depth of the water." However, he stated that "if a patron * * * ask[ed] an employee * * * they would advise them as to the depth of the water, [and] if they asked about diving, [they] would tell them the rules and regulations * * *." Mitchell agreed that Roy's injury was "[g]enerally" the type of thing that he could foresee and he was concerned that it was the kind of injury that would happen when he was told to fill the pond before lifeguards had been hired.

         Peter Lambert, a DEM caretaker supervisor who was employed at World War II Veterans Memorial Park from 1990 to 2008, testified at trial extensively about the physical characteristics and operation of the park and pond. He explained that, as the caretaker supervisor, he was the "acting park manager, " testifying that he "handled pretty much everything that had to do with the park itself: scheduling the staff, supervising the lifeguards, interviewing park rangers, interviewing seasonal people, assigning various work to people." Essentially he either directly worked on or helped supervise everything that needed to be done at the park.

         Lambert described the park as "16 acres * * * in the center of * * * Woonsocket [with] a man made [sic] pond, * * * two tennis courts, a playground area, horseshoe pits, * * * [an] Olympic pool area, * * * and the beach area * * *." Lambert described the water depth near the wall where the Olympic pool met the beach area as being "pretty consistent over the years." He testified that, when the pond was drained, he would try to "smooth the bottom" of it. Lambert explained that the pond "wouldn't be perfectly level like a pool, " but testified that he "would try to eliminate any erosion, any heels, any high spots." He testified that he was unable to do "any preparatory work to the bottom" of the pond in 2008 because he had been "informed that the park was closing and the beach wouldn't be opened that year, and [his] job was being eliminated." However, Lambert also explained that he did not rake the pond every year because "there were years when there was very little shifting on the bottom." Subsequently, Lambert testified about the diving policies at the pond. He stated that diving had "never [been] allowed." However, he admitted to seeing "people periodically dive * * * off of [the] wall on the pool area, [but] not during hours that [the pond was] in operation."

         B. The Events of July 10, 2008

         Kenneth Henderson, a seasonal laborer for DEM who worked as a groundskeeper at the park in 2008, testified at trial that he was working on July 10, 2008. Henderson stated that he saw "about half a dozen" people swimming in the pond that day but did not tell them that swimming ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.